1953 Thompson TVT Cedar Strip Runabout 

site last updated on 10-10-13



Your Subtitle text

Deck Repairs

This photo shows the damage to the deck from the pine tree. Only a few deck boards were still usable so I decided to make all new deck boards. Removing the deck boards required all of the bronze nail heads to be ground off.  Once the nail heads were removed and the boards taken off then I was able to remove the nail shanks.  The Oak strips that support the deck were incredibly hard and made it really tough to get the nails out.  The ones that could not be removed were ground down flat.



The deck support was also broken. It broke in this location because of the steering wheel that was added in the 1970's.  Big mistake!  The steering wheel never worked well and without electric start it made it difficult to pull start the motor and then crawl over 2 seats to get to the steering wheel.  The cable would also hang up at times rendering the steering wheel useless.  A pair of cutting pliers came in handy the last time I had this boat in the water.  That was in 1989.



New Mahogany deck support in place. This was probably the easiest piece to fabricate.  Just a simple arc and I cut it out on our waterjet at work.  I found it interesting that galvanized screws were used in construction where strength was required.  This, I later found out, was a relatively new process at that time and was actually used as a marketing tool.  

 

New Cedar deck boards.  Some of the Thompson's had Mahogany strips on the deck.  This model, which was a lower end model, had cedar. I kinda liked the contrast in the wood colors.  It really shows up with a few coats of Varnish. These boards were fairly easy to make.  They are 2-3/8" wide and 5/16" thick.  They have about a 10 degree angle on the lap joint that allow the boards to follow the contour of the deck. The center board has 2 lower joints and every other board has an upper and lower joint. The boards start at the center and move towards the sides. To ensure the boards had a perfectly straight edge, I C-clamped all boards together and ran them through the planer. With perfectly straight edges I ended up with almost no gap between the boards.



The photo below shows the deck boards with only one coat of Varnish.  I chose Epifanes varnish for the Deck. I currently have 5 coats on the deck but I have plans for about 5 more.

Website Builder